Tuesday 3 May 2011

149DVA Typography Marks & Reflection

The typography project was split in the two parts, the first was to create a box and pick a story from that weeks news and show that story using the inside of the box. The box had to have at least one side open and couldn't have things outside of the box, we also had to create a 3D letter which would fit inside of the box - we had to choose the size, material and colour used carefully as we had to make it justifiable to why we had used it.
I decided to do something lighthearted and make it fun, I picked the story of Robbie Williams rejoining Take That after being split from them for 10 years and it also being the first time the 5 of them had preformed together in 10 years. I used the box to create a small studio with a stage - this was the X-Factor stage where they preformed together, I then made 5 mini card bored cutouts of the 5 members and had them standing on the stage, I had lights fitted to the box to make it bright and playful with shiny paper and glitter to make it big and bright like the X-Factor stage was. I had T as the letter and made it from cardboard which I then covered with mini money that I printed off, it was said that the 5 of them were each set to make over a million each in the first year of beinf reformed so I wanted to make a point of this.
I was quite please with the finished piece and thought I had stuck to the brief well, however I did think that I could have done better if I had put a bit more time in.

The second part was we were each given a different interpretation of the same story, they had all been written  in different styles, or by a different persons personal point from the story. My version was written as question and answer, what was most probably a person being questioned by some kind of authorial figure such as the police. The person was being asked what they had seen, how it made them feel, what they thought was happening etc, which the questions being answered. It was a formal piece of writing which has been written in fair detail.

For my research I looked at formal pieces such as police statements online – the layout of them and the fonts used to help me for my initial ideas. My original idea was to rewrite the text as a police statement, set out as questions followed by the answers, but after trying this out it looked boring, I wanted to make my piece more interesting. I went on to research other things related to investigating an incident. I started looking at lie detector graph results (polygraphs), and what they looked like. I decided for my final design I would set my work out like a polygraph, with the questions set out to form the table, and the answers creating the graph results. Although the questions and answers were in order to match one another, to help define which went with which I alternately changed to the font between regular, bold, italics and bold italics. This made the graph easier to understand. I think my work is successful as it is a clever way of showing the cross examination of a witness being questioned. The polygraph is an interesting way of showing the results going up and down as the witness is being interrogated by the police.



Here is an example of the style of how my work was set out because unfortunately I can't open the file on my laptop.
149DVA Typography 1
Coursework (Cw) - 58 
Module Mark (Mm) - 58
Grade (Gd) - PASS
Credits (Cr) - 20

 Although 58 is a fairly good mark I am a little disappointed as I was have liked to have got higher, however I suppose it is a fair grade to the work I submitted, because I didn't really enjoy the second part of the project I found It had to get in to, I also really struggled using InDesign as it is a software I am unfamiliar with. Instead of spending the time producing a high standard of work, I was spending my time trying to figure out how to use the program.  

No comments:

Post a Comment